St Mary's Catholic Church

59 Normandy Street, Alton Hants, GU34 1DN
Tel: 01420 82030 Fax: 01420 85821


St Mary's
Saturday 6pm (Vigil)
Sunday 11am

St Lucy's (Medstead)
Sunday 9am


Please see the NEWS page (click here)

Welcome to our new website.

This new website replaces one that has served us well for many years. Unfortunately technology has progressed and the old program was no longer deemed adequate in today’s modern world. It was retired at the end of August 2016. It is hoped this new version will serve the needs of the Alton Catholic Community as well as did the old.

St Mary’s Church too has recently been refurbished. Now we’re especially proud of the new roof! There are 32 Velux window lights built into it that dramatically lighten the interior and can be opened in warm weather to provide a refreshing breeze.

Many of these windows have been decorated with faux stained glass panels. These designs are based on roof panels in the Lady Chapel of St Joseph’s Church in Guernsey. They were photographed by Rev Mark Leightley, and designed by Martin Donlin. (click to visit website)

A wonderful fact about our Parish is that Blessed John Henry Newman's family lived here for three years, when his father became the manager of the local brewery. His home on the high street is now an estate agents, but there is a Blue Plaque to commemorate his memory.

Blessed John Henry Newman
(21/2/1801 – 11/8/1890)
Pray for us.

This is a picture of the Church following the roof replacement in 2012. The Church was opened in 1965 with the celebration of Midnight Mass and it was snowing outside! More information will be forthcoming in the next few weeks, as more content is added to the site.

St Mary's is part of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Portsmouth.

The Rt Rev Philip Egan - is our Bishop. He was ordained on the 11th July in 2012 in a lovely ceremony in the Cathedral.

He is the eighth Bishop of the Diocese, created by a Papal Brief of Pope Leo XIII in 1882.

The Diocese covers the counties of Hampshire, Berkshire, the Isle of Wight and the Channel Islands.